The Understanding of Chinese
Baidu is a Chinese search engine, made by the Chinese, and used by the Chinese. In the beginning, Baidu was better to read Chinese characters. What is complicated with Chinese characters is that a word is generally a set of 2 characters and there is no space between words. Baidu for a long period of time had one step ahead of its enemy Google, in the language.
Baidu also used that in terms of communication. Baidu understands the Chinese people.
Collaboration with the Government
Baidu still has close cooperation with the Chinese government and respects the rules of censorship. Baidu regularly censored results, pornographic content but also articles that don’t agree with the politic of the government.
Regularly, we see some new-censored keywords, such as “Ferrari” referring to the scandal of one of the sons of a member of the government. More information about the censorship of Ferrari is here.
Google has more time to collaborate. Very early Google was the victim of Chinese censorship, which benefited the Chinese competitor.
They tried some buzz in 2009, a fake exit in Hong Kong, which displeased the Chinese government. Now, Google.cn redirects to .com.hk and is slow and regularly inaccessible from mainland China.
Now Google.com.hk respects the rules of censorship and censored the same results as Baidu.
Baidu the Plagiarist
If Google is a great innovator, Baidu is famous for its copies. The Chinese giant of the Internet has indeed a lot of copies to its record.
- Yahoo Answers = Baidu Zhidao
- Google Actu = Baidu Actu
- Google Maps = Baidu Maps
- Google Shopping = Baidu Shopping
- Baidu tries to copy Sina Weibo
- Baidu has its own knowledge field and needs the population to develop itself, contrary to Google which will try to surprise everybody with innovations.
- Wikipedia = Baike I let you see the work
In an easy way, Google research to have the best results contrary to Baidu wants to earn the maximum amount of money possible. I explain myself.
Google will encourage the sharing of information, unique content, the relevance of information, and the diversity of sources.
Baidu will always put forward its network of sites. Baike first, Baidu Zhidao second, and Baidu Tieba (Baidu forum) is third in generalizing a bit. On commercial requests, the first 11 results of Baidu PPC (pay-per-click).
Baidu is selfish and focused on cash flow. The price of a click on Baidu is also very high, 4 times more than Google.com.hk
Baidu the Chinese vs Google.com.hk More International
Baidu makes SEO in priority for Chinese websites and references a few foreign websites. While Google.com.hk will take everything into account.
The Different Techniques
- Host in China: Baidu gives a big bonus to websites hosted in China, Google no.
- Baidu takes into account the meta description, while Google less (or not)
- Baidu does not take social links into account (except its own forums), Google will do it more.
- Baidu will influence with hands some results, while Google not (even if it’s a Google Bombing).
- Baidu gives a priority to the homepage, but Google does not so much.
- Baidu didn’t develop a copy of Penguin or Panda, now it’s the party of backlinks.
- Baidu appreciates the repetition of keywords… Google makes a penalty for it.
- Black hat techniques of the 2000’ work very well on Baidu, but a little bit less on Google.
How to Work on the SEO of Your Website on Baidu?
- You have to have Chinese logic, have everything in Chinese, hosted in China.
- A politic of Chinese backlinks only
- Be careful on the website, no forbidden words.
- Be really aggressive in the acquisition of links
- Try to position yourself on less competitive keywords to get a chance to appear on the first pages (without ads).
- Set up a limited campaign of Pay Per Click, to get a bonus of TrustRank (yes it exists in China).
You may have seen, I’m not a fan of the “Baidu” technology but I understand it. We can criticize this search engine but know that the SEO is really hard to reach the first webpages because there is a big competition in China.
I am one of the few foreigners able to understand Baidu and act effectively on SEO sites in Chinese on Baidu, with my Chinese Partner.
Baidu is the favorite search engine of Chinese people today, but there is a strong wave of dispute from the Chinese geek community on Baidu. I think the Baidu empire is not ready to fall. There is now no serious challenger to rival.
The new search engine Qihoo maybe … who knows!
If you are looking for a way to increase your site traffic, then you need to understand search engine optimization (SEO).
You know the types – I promise even in Chin, you can make a gigantic amount of money !!!
Very Very interesting article. Really help me to understand the difference between this 2 robots.
Baidu is really much more focused about money.
Poczta Z Kwiatami Warszawa
Container-grown flower bulbs and seeds also allow growers to defy nature.
There are many ways to dive into the SEO marketing world, good to know your website for China.
Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment
(it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing.
Do you have any points for first-time blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.