What’s the most popular social media marketing tool for companies? The answer is obviously Sina Weibo. The reason is almost all the companies can find their customers there among the 327 million users on Sina Weibo.
For people or companies who want to promote on Weibo, here are 80 tips:
1. Don’t launch Weibo only on impulse
2. Start Weibo marketing only after you know it can benefit your business
3. Check if your customers are on Weibo
4. Let professional, or at least social, Weibo users manage the account
5. Get Verification for company account or personal account
6. Clear positioning
7. Design of the account
8. Tag the account
9. Link to the company website
10. Company Introduction
12. Associated accounts
13. Banner of the account
14. Nickname on the account
15. Select an impressive company icon on the Weibo page
16. Company contact information on the Weibo page
17. Single account or multi-accounts strategy
18. Company members’ Weibo is very important
19. Company leader’s Weibo is widely considered to represent the company
20. QR code setting
21. SNS bar on the company website
22. Weibo is not the place for direct advertising
23. Create content according to your targets’ taste
24. Luring content is attractive to Weibo users
25. Keep close attention to the popular topic every day
26. Comment, share or make content around hot topics if possible
27. Regular publishing
28. Better to do nothing than put boring things
29. The only way to prevent your fans from being zombies is to feed them with interesting information
30. Content should be pleasant and friendly
31. Make smart comments when sharing a Weibo
32. Share professional information with your fans from time to time
33. Add eye-catching pictures and videos
34. Put a link to the company site on Weibo you want to promote
35. Develop a mini-game or app if possible
36. Don’t share too many Weibo with others
37. Don’t publish too many Weibo too often
38. Use ## to tag topics
39. Use provocative language
40. Keep the same tone in content, reply and comment on Weibo
41. Number of fans is nothing
42. Getting influential fans is always the priority
43. Look for your target
44. Identify targets influential among your targets
45. @those influential accounts when you have good content
46. Reply that quality comment properly and quickly
47. Study the time when your targets are active
48. 10 accounts with 1 million fans each in one field is better than 1 account with 10 million fans from everywhere
49. Don’t try to fool your fans because they are the relatively clever people
50. Communicate with your fans like friends, don’t be God to them nor make them God
51. Check the new function on Weibo
52. Keep eye on the trends in the field
53. Interact actively with people @you or mention you
54. Go to groups to interact with them
55. Put the address of your Weibo account in the company account
56. Set up a message board or even a special account for after service
57. Baidu SEO on Weibo
58. Careful plan on all the promotion
59. Monitor the information about your company
60. Avoid political, scandal topics
61. Put your company in a weak position
62. Sincere announcement at the first moment
63. To put news about the reaction to the crisis is better
64. Let the topic spread before explaining the reality if the situation is controllable
65. Better to fight back in a humor way than a serious way
66. Never put any negative news about competitors, even anybody on the official account
67. Don’t click links from somebody don’t know
68. Don’t use applications from an unknown source
69. Filter spam
70. Never use hacker software
71. A clear target for the event: brand awareness or brand image
72. Want to get fans fast? Sweepstakes
73. Don’t let fans wait for too long for the next event
74. No matter the form of the event, be different!
75. Interact with fans and participants after the event launched
76. Integrate other SNS in the event
What result to get
77. Sales is not a good KPI for Weibo marketing
78. Keep an eye on competitors’ activity on Weibo
79. Feedback on your brand or product from Weibo users
And the last and most important tip is that Weibo changes every day, so only practice can help you stay an advantage.
Don’t hesitate to send an Email to me at marketingtochina[at]gmail.com if any suggestions or questions.
see more about weibo marketing
Source: Sina Weibo, DCCI, Weibopower
Great and very useful post. I’m trying to work on my Weibo account but it’s tough when I still don’t know enough about Chinese social media. But some of your ideas are really useful. I hope they can help me getting more noticed, the platform is just sooo big lol
Must weibo be written in Chinese?
99% of the Chinese population can not speak english… So what do you think ?
Wonderful blog Philip! I found it while browsing on Yahoo
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
Greetings! I know this is kinda off topc however I’d figured on weibo
I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links oor maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
My blog discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I beloieve we could greatly benefit
from each other. If you might be interested feel free to shoot me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!
Thank you very for useful Information !
Good! Especially the “Better to do nothing than put boring things”!
Thanks Julien, btw, your weibo is a good sample.